The Mission of the Diversity & Inclusion Team is to promote and support equality through education, communication, accountability, and activities that have a positive impact throughout our organization and communities.
- Promote and participate in all available Diversity and Inclusion education
- Provide a forum for personal or anonymous incident reporting and suggestions
- Partner with the Culture Committee to provide an annual day of service to underserved communities
- Identify additional opportunities to be of service, including MLK Day and food pantry donations
- Educate and enlighten with timely articles and stories related to D&I in the monthly newsletter
- Offer a lending library containing educational, biographical, and exploratory literature
- Host various cultural heritage events and activities (post-COVID)
D&I Trainings promoted in 2020
- Diversify 2020 (Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce)
- Understanding LGBTQI Homeownership in 2020 and Beyond (GCAR)
- At Home With Diversity (GCAR)
- A Conversation with a Reformed Racist and Former Cop (GCAR)
- Latinx Cultural Competency Training and Spanish for Realtors (GCAR)
- Newsday’s “Long Island Divided” (GCAR)
- Checking Your Blind Spots: An Unconscious Bias Workshop (KW SE Region)
- Keller Williams made it to Forbes “America’s Best Employers for Diversity 2020 list”.
Dear Keller Williams family,
I’d like to make one thing clear: Racism is wrong and Keller Williams stands with the Black community and wholeheartedly supports equality.
Right now, communities across America are experiencing tremendous pain. This pain builds and grows exponentially with each name: George Floyd. Ahmaud Arbery. Breonna Taylor. Eric Garner. Sandra Bland. Michael Brown, and too many more. Each person had a story, a family, a home, and a life that mattered that was taken away from them.
To our Black Keller Williams associates and clients: We are with you. You matter. Your family, friends, and community matter. Your lives matter. You are in our hearts and in our prayers.
The truth is that racial injustice and inequality persists. And, in order to help change that, it’s critical to not only say something about it, but to do something about it. I believe that the real estate community has a unique opportunity to promote healing and reform. The first step is reflection and thoughtful self-examination. Then, we listen. We learn. We speak up. That’s how change happens. We know many of you are past this stage. And, from you, we need your leadership.
Effective immediately, we are creating a task force of our International Associate Leadership Council to come forward with recommendations for action to eliminate any racial disparity within our company, our industry, and how we can lead the way in the communities where we live and work. I will be reaching out to your regions immediately to ask for a nomination from each to join us in this critical effort. I’m proud of the company we’ve built together, but I know in my heart that we can do more. I believe we can also set an example within the industry by committing more of ourselves to a better, and equitable future.
We can all do something. Lead a conversation in your market center and commit as a family to create change. Reach out to your local real estate board and make sure that racial equality is reflected in their positions. Ask if they support initiatives and measures crucial to racial and social justice. Then, get involved in those you believe in.
Now is also the time to check in on each other, speak our truths, and listen with an empathetic ear. While we may not be able to come together in person, we can make a difference. Call, video chat, text, and support each other during this unbelievably challenging time.
Take heart. And, take care of each other. While pain and hate brought us to this moment, love will help us find our way out. Onward …
EQUALITY AND INCLUSION PLEDGE
I Believe that every individual is precious and worthy; that every person is entitled to dignity and respect
I Believe that the various dimensions of diversity – our differences – and richness and texture to the overarching commonalities that unite us.
I Pledge to….
- Embrace diversity and inclusion by respecting such individual attributes as sex, gender, race, ethnicity, age, class, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, nationality, socioeconomic status, religion, physical ability, mental ability, and expression.
- Work for social justice on behalf of all people in order to create, nurture, and sustain an optimum quality of life for all.
- Choose my words carefully, refraining from the use of epithets and derogatory terms or statements that are harmful and disrespectful to others.
- Avoid reliance on stereotypes and instead leverage my experiences and interactions to better understand and embrace all people.
- Educate myself about cultures other than my own.
- Engage in and contribute to the diverse world around me by taking affirmative measures to foster inclusive environments in my community and work lives.
- Honor this pledge within my everyday life.